wdm. 1945-2020.

 today, 

i did what he would’ve wanted. 

i carried on. 


i said my hellos, 

shook hands with both new bodies 

and the lingering sadness inside me,


i went about my day. 

because he was never about dramatics. 

he always said he never wanted -


never needed -

anything. 

he had all he wanted and more. 


so much more, 

i got a house and garage full 

of all he wanted. 


to him, they were tools. 

important, 

useful. 


to me, they are memories 

of a man 

who never got to see 


those tools full potential. 

his kid’s full potential. 

i try not to cry about it often. 


because the tears aren’t something 

he would’ve wanted. 

and he would’ve told me that, too. 


my dad was a vintage Swiss Army Knife. 

old fashioned, got red in the face easy, 

and had all kinds of quirks to him. 


i miss his laugh. 

i miss his harmonica playing 

“you are my sunshine” nine times a day. 


my dad never learned lyrics to songs, 

because his versions were the truth. 

he sang all the time. 


he danced just as often. 

his body owned no rhythm, 

but his bones were too joyful 


to stand still. 

until they could no longer 

remember whose body they belonged to. 


dementia is cruel like that. 

it only takes the mind 

of the one it infects. 


i am plagued to remember 

all that was, 

and recognize all that never will be. 


i am haunted by memories 

and fantasies of futures 

i will never get to grasp. 


tears hold the saltiness 

of two years past, 

but five years of slow decline. 


do you know what it feels like 

to grow up knowing 

your father wouldn’t be around 


to see your wedding day? 

your college graduation? 

to be a grandfather? 


i was faced with the reality 

of a decline no one could halt 

at the age of seventeen, 


i was not a dancing queen. 

i was terrified. 

i was angry. 


but my father, 

he never asked for much. 

i think growing up post Depression 


does that to a kid. 

my dad was an accidental draft dodger, 

coal miner, boy scout master, 

milkman, baseball lover, 


airport maintenance extraordinaire. 

he only knew one song on the piano. 

i have spent everyday since his death 


trying to remember that tune. 

it’s embedded in my flesh, 

thrumming in my heart, 


but it never plays itself on 

black and white keys. 

it’s simply a part of me now. 


today, 

i only cried once. 

as thumbs tap this poem to fruition. 


i think he’d be okay with that. 

my dad liked having justifications 

for things. 


there was a study done, 

where by the time you are eighteen, 

you’ve spent 90% of your time 


with your parents that you’ll ever have. 

my dad died when i was twenty. 

i got more than i deserved, 


but less than i wanted. 

life can be unfair like that. 

“life is what you make it,” 


he told me this everyday. 

it’s a part of my attitude, 

it’s a deep seeded joy in my bones. 


today, 

i had life carry on like normal. 

i think that’s exactly how 


he would’ve wanted it. 

to let the tears fall in the car, 

or in bed, 


but don’t waste the day. 

there’s things to be done. 

and i did it.  


i wonder how you would feel, dad. 

seeing where i am, 

how i am, 


who i am. 


happy Father’s Day. 


Comments